Monday, May 13, 2013

Confessions of a Whole 30 Drop-out

Edit: I did Week1, took 3 days off, following most, but all of the rules, then started over. So depending how you count, Day 6 was actually Day 13 or Day 11.

I made it to day 6, feeling progressively ickier. The food was fine, the cravings were unpleasant, but tolerable. But my body was unhappy.

I had no energy, muscles aches, headaches, nausea, vomiting and shakes. I was hungry all the time, eating more than usual, and I was not seeing any positive changes after my first week 1. The restrictive plan was causing me anxiety in feeding myself and my children. We ran out of food, because no one was satisfied, and eating more than usual, and I had to go buy groceries again on Saturday. 

It is possible that I was detoxing and it would have passed and I would have felt wonderful in a week. I don't think so. 

I learned 2 things from my Whole 30 experience. 

#1. There is room for improvement in my diet. 
I can cut the sugar, refined flour, white rice, and breads considerably. I knew those foods had snuck into my diet in too large quantities. I know they aren't good for me. I can still have them, but I need to have less of them. Just because there's rice on the table, doesn't mean I have to eat it. 

#2. No one diet is right for every body. 
I know some of the participants are doing great, feeling good, living and loving life. But some (myself included) weren't. 
I don't think it's a matter of good vs. bad foods. I don't think it's a matter of having or lacking will power. I think it's a matter of listening to your body and knowing when something makes you feel healthy and whole and good, and when something makes you feel icky. 
I got a little caught up in the "I can do anything for 30 days" mind trap. Yes, I can but that doesn't mean I should.
Last night, as we were driving home from his mom's Mother's Day celebration, D said, "This diet really took it out of you." I don't want a diet that takes from me. I want a diet that gives to me. 

It's been 2 days, and I'm still recovering from this experience. By day 6, I felt so depleted, I could barely get out of bed. I've been eating whatever sounds good, in an attempt to replenish what I've been missing.
For the next few days, I'll eat meats, veggies, fruits, and some refined carbs. At the end of the week, I'll re-evaluate whether I want to continue this way, or go vegetarian. 


So there it is. If you have tried the paleo way of eating, and loved it, great! Stick with it. 
If you have not tried it, go ahead and give it a go. It might be a great fit for you. 
If it doesn't sound like a good fit, or if you have tried it or are trying it, or any other plan, for that matter, and you are not feeling healthy and empowered, stop. 
Focus on the foods that make you feel good, and avoid the ones that make you feel bad. Choose whole, nourishing foods. Listen to your body. Feed your body. Food is love. Love and respect your body as the amazing, unique creation that it is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment