Thursday, October 18, 2012

Crockpot Cajun White Beans and Sausage

You have probably heard of red beans and rice. But have you heard of white beans? I hadn't until I came here. White beans are now one of my favorite comfort foods. The weather is cooling down. This is a perfect dish to warm up with.

Let me first start by saying that I don't measure. Of course. I'm estimating the amounts, but they are subject to taste. Use as much or little as you like. I'm also using dried onions, celery and peppers. For the purpose of this recipe, I will pretend I'm not, as I assume few, if any, of my readers will have these on hand. In my opinion, the results are the same with fresh, frozen or dried.

1 pound smoked Cajun sausage (if you can't get Cajun sausage, any good quality smoked sausage will suffice)
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced bell pepper-red, green or both
1 cup diced celery
1 pound dry white beans

Cut sausage into 1.5 inch slices. Place on bottom of  pot. Add onion, celery and peppers. Rinse and sort beans. Add to pot. Cover with water. Cook on high 5-6 hours until soft and creamy. Serve over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment