Monday, July 1, 2013
Better Than Caprese Salad
It's summer time! In Louisiana, summer means tomatoes. And fresh, ripe, red tomatoes beg and plead to end their days in a Caprese salad.
I'm not a huge fan of mozzarella, and I wanted something a little more substantial and recognizable for the Little Strawberries. This variation retains the simplicity of the original salad, with less dairy and a nice fork-friendly appearance.
1. Chop or tear 2 hearts of romaine.
2. Chiffonade one large handful fresh basil.
3. Toss romaine and basil in a large, pretty bowl.
4. Layer sliced tomatoes on top.
5. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
6. Sprinkle with GOOD shredded parmesan, asiago, romano, or a blend. Please do not use the white granules. Ever.
7. Top with a few grinds of black pepper.