Thursday, September 13, 2012

Our Homeschool Year




We school more or less year round, but this year, I'm schooling 2 full time and one part time. I decided to put everyone on a more traditional schedule.

We started our new year in July, right after summer classes ended. I added a bunch of new stuff last year, so there was a ton of (largely unnecessary and VERY stressful) catch up work. I've decided to mellow things out a bit and skip Ben ahead to a more reasonable grade level. 

This year, I feel like we have a very comprehensive curriculum. I am an unschooler at heart, but I didn't find that approach to be working for my oldest. In researching resources to fill in the gaps, I found that the Classical Method, which I had previously dismissed as complex, overwhelming, rigid, and frankly, intimidating, though delightfully thorough and, well, classic, is not only a great fit for me, but also for my kids. I'm still in the process of adding and subtracting some things, but for the most part, our core curriculum is set, and it's working amazingly well. 

We use a block schedule. Core curriculum is done 3 days a week, and the other stuff is split between the other 2 days. 

Here is the line up as it stands right now. 
Ben:
MWF
Singapore Math/Timez Attack
Handwriting Without Tears cursive
First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind grammar
Writing With Ease

Jeffrey:
MWF
Singapore Math
Handwriting Without Tears printing
First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind grammar
Writing With Ease
Starfall reading
Explode the Code phonics workbooks

Jason:
MWF (as desired)
Donna Young Penmanship Readiness worksheets
Starfall ABCs
Assorted Kindle Preschool apps
Lots of picture books

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, we all work together as a group.

Tuesday:
Story of the World, Volume 2, The Middle Ages, supplemented with a historical atlas, globe and videos
Spanish Vocabulary and Salsa videos with lesson plans
Donna Young Art 1a drawing lessons
Free classic audiobooks from Librivox.org
Crafts from my Pinterest board

Thursday:
Simple Science-each child working at his own level
Buddhist Tales
More crafts from Pinterest
Board games of their choosing
More Librivox.org



In addition to this, Jason has a home teacher who comes once a week to help with his cognitive skills and speech therapy once a week at the local public school. He is working one-on-one with his therapist now, but will soon be joining the preschool class and working with other kids his age. 

So far this semester, we have not signed up for any extra-curricular activities. I recently opened a new homeschool group in my area, which I'm hoping will lead to playdates, parkdays and field trips. I'm in the process of lining up music teachers for the kids as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment