Friday, May 9, 2014

Picture Study



As I've mentioned a few times recently, I am streamlining our homeschool, combining necessary tasks with the subjects we are studying The result of this is more free time, more room in our day to play and to add in extra lessons that we have not had much room for in the past. 

On of these new endeavors is Picture Study (or artist study later, but last month, just picture study). 

Charlotte Mason  recommended artist study as a critical part of a child's cultural education. We follow a Classical approach, inspired by both Charlotte Mason and The Well-Trained Mind. This year, I am prioritizing some of the studies that have fallen by the wayside in recent years, including artist study, composer study and Poet study .

Last month, we studied Conversational Japanese. Along with the study of the language, we read Japanese folk lore, from which we took our copywork and picture study. 

For this lesson, we read Kogi's Mysterious Journey.

                               

We chose our favorite picture. We studied it briefly, then I closed the book. Each child told me, in turn, what he remembered about the picture. I am always delighted to hear the differences in what they tell me. Their perceptions are all so unique.

Once we have all spoken, I reopen the book and we look again. Each child can point out what he spoke of that the other children did not see.
I show them different artistic elements in the picture. In this one, the impression of movement, the layering of color to create light and texture, story-telling elements of the picture, the dark outlines reminiscent of wood block printing. 


Now it's time to get into it. I laid out paper and water colors, and set up the open book for inspiration. I do not encourage the children to copy the picture. I instruct them to use the elements and style they see in the picture to create something of their own. Again, I get to see their unique perceptions and personalities shining through. 



During Picture study month, we do this about once a week (allowing for days out of the house, holidays, illness, other time constraints). Another day, we read a book illustrated in torn paper collage. They had a lot of fun recreating a burning rice field featured in Tsunami!

This simple practice has been a rewarding and enjoyable addition to our homeschool. 

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to our Scented Candles site, we are offering buy candles, candles for home, home candles, the candle company, soy candles, fragrance candle, candles for less, scented candle.
    http://www.simplyheavenonline.com/strawberry-reed-diffuser/


    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cm and picture studies!

    What a sweet family pic...and a sweet time together. I miss all 5 of my kids being home.

    Glad I still have the younger 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love cm and picture studies!

    What a sweet family pic...and a sweet time together. I miss all 5 of my kids being home.

    Glad I still have the younger 2 :)

    ReplyDelete