Monday, April 29, 2013

Whole 30 Day 1 - French Onion Soup and Caesar Salad

My biggest challenge is going to be keeping my kids' food out of my mouth. 

Aside from the half and half in my tea this morning (I mixed it up last night, but didn't drink it), I tasted a yogurt, cocoa krispies, and cinnamon toast crunch. All concessions I made to my children in anticipation of not wanting to cook breakfasts that I can't eat. I can't wait to run out.

Breakfast:
Iced English breakfast tea with half and half. I was happily surprised that the cream did not add to the experience. I can now happily drink my creamless tea without a pang of longing. 

Lunch: 
Bagged green salad topped with shredded carrot, green bell pepper, chopped boiled egg, sunflower seeds, mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and grey salt, diced fresh tomato and balsamic vinegar.
Yummy. Standard lunch for me. This part was easy. 


I was really hungry about 2 hours later, so I made a second, small meal.
Sweet potato hash, fried in olive oil. Sauteed mushrooms, green bell peppers, and fresh tomatoes, one egg, seasoned with Slap Ya Mama.
I drank another glass of iced English Breakfast Tea, sans cream. It actually tasted better. 

Dinner:
French onion soup (recipe follows)
Caesar Salad (recipe follows)

The kids had :
Breakfast:
Fruit blended yogurt topped with cocoa krispies.

Lunch:
Hard boiled eggs
strawberries
Cinnamon Toast Crunch, dry

Dinner: 
French Onion soup
Caesar Salad
Whole wheat toast with cheese


French Onion Soup
6 onions, thinly sliced
Olive oil
salt
2 bouillon cubes or soup base
dash Tabasco 


Raw onions
Saute onions in oil, sprinkled with good salt, over low heat until soft. 
Soft onions


Add water to cover. Stir in bouillon cubes or soup base.
Onions with water and soup base

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes. 
Add Tabasco to taste.
Garnish with minced fresh parsley.

Serve hot. 

Caesar Salad
2 heads Romaine lettuce, torn
1/2 red onion sliced thinly, and soaking in cold water 15 minutes
2 boiled eggs, diced
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 TBS lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
dash salt and pepper
Splash olive oil
Nuts/seeds if desired

Place lettuce in large salad bowl. Top with drained onions, and eggs.
In a small blender or food processor, combine mustard, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper with enough olive oil for the blades to run smoothly. Blend until smooth and frothy. 
Whizzing up the dressing

Pour over salad. Toss and serve. Garnish with nuts and seeds if desired. 








No comments:

Post a Comment